Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Raw Date Balls

These little balls are packed with so much punch! Dried fruit, nuts, seeds....they have it all! These babies will give you a burst of energy, curb hunger and cravings. I love to have one or two before or after a run. Before gives me the energy to get through. After helps head off hunger and helps recover. If I feel like snacking in the afternoon, I just pop in one of these and I'm good...well sometimes two =) My oldest son would eat them before wrestling matches for extra energy. I stash a few in hubbies lunch when he's going to have a long day. These would be great on hikes or bike rides. They are so easy to make, my kids can even make them. Plus they don't take more than 5-10 minutes to prepare!
Inspired by this recipe
This recipe makes 20-30  1 inch balls

Ingredients:
15 pitted organic Medjool dates
1/2 cup organic raw almonds
3 organic figs, chopped
5 organic dried apricots, chopped
2 TB organic chia seeds
1 TB organic raw pumpkin seeds
2 TB organic raw sunflower seeds
2 TB organic cacao nibs (or you could use organic chocolate chips, but that would make this not completely raw, but still super yummy...roughly chop them)
1 ts organic cinnamon
1/4 ts good salt

In a food processor, combine dates and almonds until ground up (see Note below). Remove from processor and scoop into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well with your hands (obviously make sure you wash them well first). I kneed it like bread to make sure it's well combined. Wet your hands and roll into 1 inch balls. My kids like to make stick or carrot shapes too =) Place in a glass container that seals and store in the refrigerator.

Note: There have been a couple times I've made this and the almond/date mixture wasn't sticky enough. Not sure why. You want to be able to pinch a chunk and have it stick together really well. So to remedy it when it's not quite sticky enough, I put a couple spoonfuls of honey in the processor and mix it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!