Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

BBQ Red Bean Burgers



Normally I'm not one for veggie or bean burgers, but these were super good!!! Jillian Michaels from Biggest Loser posted a recipe on facebook awhile back and I had been wanting to try it for awhile. Well, as with any new and strange recipe, I put it off, put it off, and put it off. It was on my menu for about 4 weeks but I kept skipping it. I finally tried it tonight! I made some changes so I will post below how I made them. They were great!

BBQ Red Bean Burgers

    • 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 1/2 minced onion
    • 2 chopped and seeded tomatoes
    • 1/2 minced jalapeno (I only used half since I'm feeding kids. If I was to make it for myself, I'd use 2 jalapeno's probably)
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 3 cups organic kidney beans
    • 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
    • 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce ( I use Trader Joes BBQ sauce, YUM)
    • 1 egg white, beaten
    • 4 whole grain buns, toasted (I used Ezekial buns)

      Toppings: (any, all, or none)
      jack or cheddar cheese, organic of course
        lettuce
      slices thick tomatoes  
      avocado
      bbq sauce
      onions

    •  Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
    • Add onion, tomato, jalapeno, garlic and chili powder; sauté 5 minutes.
    • Using fork or potato masher, coarsely mash beans in bowl.
    • Combine with onion mixture, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce and egg white.
    • Shape mixture into 8  1/2-inch-thick patties.
    • Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill
    • If grilling, oil the rack or spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then fire up coals to medium heat.
    • If pan-frying, heat a little olive oil over medium heat.
    • Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side. (I did them in a skillet. I did them three minutes on each side, twice.)
    • Place burgers on buns.
    • Top with any of the above toppings or use your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!