Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Garlic Scape Pesto

I had some garlic scapes from our CSA share. I had been using them in various dishes in place of garlic or onions. I came across a recipe for a grilled cheese with pesto and thought, hmmm, I could make pesto with the garlic scapes! I used this for a sandwich spread so I didn't make it too liquidy like you would for pasta. So if you want to through it on some pasta, add more olive oil. We warned this is a spicy pesto. If you don't want spicy you can sub basil for a traditional pesto or parsley for a twist. If you are using basil or parsley add a clove or two of garlic.

Garlic Scape Pesto
1 cup garlic scapes (about 6 or 7) chopped into small pieces, flowers removed
1/3 cup organic cashews, or you can use pine nuts (I can't get organic pine nuts)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, organic (approx. 3/4 cup if you want it for pasta sauce)
1/2 ts good salt
pepper to taste
Shredded Parmesan to taste (I used a couple TB)

Put scapes and nuts in the food processor and process until smooth-ish. Drizzle olive oil in until well combined and smooth. Remove from processor and stir in salt, pepper, and Parmesan. Spread on your sandwich bread and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!