Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Getting started Juicing

Do you want to start juicing but don't know where to start? Juicing is such a great way to get nutrients quickly into your system. The best place to start is with carrot juice. Carrot juice has so many healing properties. An 8 oz glass of juice can contain up to 800% of the rda of vitamin A, in beta carotene. This is great for tissue and bone growth. It is excellent for good vision. Also, an 8oz glass will also provide up to 35 % of rda of vitamin C. Vitamin C has so many benefits including collagen production of the mucous membranes, skin, bones, and teeth. It is also a good source of potassium and calcium. It improves the health of the liver and digestive tract. It contains vitamin E which is known to help in the prevention of cancer.

 Carrot juice has a very sweet taste so it's widely accepted and loved. A nice glass of carrot juice in the morning can give you tons of energy to tackle the day ahead. Do you have picky kids and don't think they'll go for it? My suggestion would be to juice a couple apples to mix with the carrot juice. That will give the kids a "familiar" taste along with the new taste. Plus the apple juice makes it even sweeter. Are they really really really picky? Try a combination with just a little bit of carrot juice and mostly apple juice. Every once in awhile, when they aren't looking, up the amount of carrot juice and lessen the apple juice. Eventually they will be used to the taste and hopefully will eventually take carrot juice on its own. If you're a family with very young kids start them right away! My kids have been getting carrot juice since they've been allowed food other than momma milk. They love it and look forward to it.

A couple times a week we do a veggie juice blend too. I've finally got my 2 year old drinking that! When you hand a kid a glass of puke green juice, they tend to look at you like you are crazy. My older kids just drink it because I say so. I've learned with 2 year olds you need to make them think it was THEIR idea =) It took a couple months of me regularly offering it to her before she would just pick it up and drink it. She often asks for more! The first day she did that my jaw hit the floor as I happily poured her another glass. When I make a veggie juice blend, it always varies what I put in there. I buy whatever organic greens are available and that's what we have that week. This week was a great week for greens for some reason...knock on wood, don't want to jinx it that it was a fluke that the store had such a variety! I was able to get organic kale, red chard, green chard, and spinach. Living where I live, I feel lucky if I can get organic kale! Boy do I miss Cali produce. I remember the health food store I shopped at there would have an entire wall of organic greens, it was beautiful! So back to the juice, I do whatever greens I can get, plus carrots, celery, beets and some apples. Sometimes I put fresh parsley in there too.

Start off with small portions, 4-8 oz of juice for adults, 2-4 for kids, at a time. The best time to start is NOW. Why put it off? Juicing will make you feel so good and full of energy. Your body will thank you =)
Start juicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!