Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Mommy-ade (homemade gatorade)

Mommy-ade was lovingly named by my husband, since I make it, and I'm the mommy =) Sometimes you just need a thirst quenching, electrolyte replacing, yummy drink. Most would reach for Gatorade, or the more "natural" version Recharge. This home version is much healthier with natural ingredients, no food dyes, and doesn't have that silly side effect of the store bought ones that actually can dehydrate you. Weird, huh. Do not under any circumstances use iodized table salt (for real, don't use it EVER, but here would totally defeat the purpose and would probably dehydrate you). We use this for the days when you are working hard and need a lift, especially if it's hot out (Ahhh, hot out, oh how I dream of hot weather knee deep in February). We use it for sporting events, brought it to soccer, baseball, and especially wrestling tournaments that are ALL day draining events. I like it especially in the winter when the dryness is overwhelming and I have days where I just cannot consume enough water. This little drink does the trick! Puking bug visiting, works great!
My suggestion on the lemon and lime is to do it by taste, start with less and if you want more flavor, add more. I do that every time because you never know how flavorful a lemon or lime is going to be.
This recipe makes a half gallon. You can multiply it as needed.
Ingredients:
1/2-1 cup lemon juice, I use about 5 lemons to start
2 tablespoons lime juice
, 1-2 limes
1/
4 cup sucanat (or 1/3 cup honey, or maple syrup) Start with less and then add more to taste
1/
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Water to make 1
/2 gallon, and ice if needed



This is my starting point. With the lemons, limes, and sugar/honey, I taste it and then add more if needed to get a good taste. 
Mix all together in a half gallon container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!