Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Organic Alfredo

Who doesn't love alfredo? I can't really say I know anyone. My kids are NOT big fans of red sauce on pasta, though they love lasagna and baked ziti, go figure. So making a healthy white sauce is a must around here. I can only eat lemon pasta so much (probably their fav pasta). Alfredo that comes in jars just looks gross to me. I great, creamy, wholesome homemade sauce is a must. Try it! You won't regret it!

Ingredients:
1 cup organic cream
1 cup organic milk
4 tb organic butter
4 tb organic whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic Parmesan shredded, plus some for sprinkling on top
1/2 cup organic shredded mozzarella (completely optional, but adds a stringy cheesiness)
1/2 lb organic whole wheat fetuccine, or other pasta

Cook pasta according to directions on package. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook for a few minutes while continuing to stir. Whisk in milk and cream. Cook until thickened, stirring often. Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in cheese(s). I don't always add mozzarella but I like the variation it adds. Pour over your pasta and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Sprinkle crushed red pepper on top if you wish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!