Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Baked Jalapeno Poppers

First off...wear gloves when dealing with jalapenos...I know better, and I didn't...ouch.
I love jalapeno poppers. I love that I can bake them instead of frying them and use organic ingredients. Have you ever ordered poppers at a restaurant and they taste like fryer grease? Eww, I'm gagging thinking about it. So not only are these better for you because you use organic ingredients, hot peppers are borderline high in pesticides. Plus organic eggs, flour, dairy products....you get the picture. Dairy and eggs are seriously not good for you if not organic....hormones, antibiotics, gross unhealthy living conditions for the animals. What I do when making these is make a HUGE batch and then I freeze them. If I want a snack, I can pop a few in the toaster oven and in 5-10 minutes I have yummy poppers to munch on! By all means you do not have to make as big of a batch as I do, it's really time consuming. But I really only do it maybe twice a year. So if you think of it that way, it's not that bad. I'll start off by telling you that the batch I made today took 2 hours, start to finish, including baking time. By the end I was getting a little annoyed by the whole process, but now I'm happy about the huge amount of poppers in my freezer! So it's all good ;)

Ingredients:
25 large jalapenos, organic (They don't have to be large, but I quarter them so I get more poppers this way)
2 packages organic cream cheese, softened (you could also use neufchatel, less fat and tastes pretty much the same)
1/2 cup mayonnaise Here's my recipe for homemade
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, organic
6 cups breadcrumbs (I don't buy breadcrumbs, for this I toasted 9 pieces of bread and threw it in the food processor with a ts salt and garlic powder)
5 eggs, organic
2 TB organic milk
2 cups organic flour, non-bleached


Slice jalapenos in half, scoop out seeds, slice each half in half. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.


Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar, and mayo. Place a small scoop on every piece of jalapeno.

Put the flour in one bowl. Eggs and milk, beaten, in another. Breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
Roll each piece around in the flour, then the egg mixture, and finally the breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!