Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Freezing fresh herbs



I just learned something and thought I would share it with you all. In the past if I had fresh herbs that I wasn't going to use I would dehydrate them and save them. I just learned that you can freeze them too! Now I'm probably way behind the times on this and everyone but me knew this, but I'm excited about it!
Here's how:
1. Cut a big bunch of the herb off the plant.
2. Remove the leaves from the stem.
3. Bunch up the leaves and pack them into ice cube trays.
4. Cover with water.
5. Freeze
6. Remove from ice cube tray and put your herb-cubes into freezer storage bags.

That's it! Isn't that neat? Now you can use them for winter soups and other cooking. Hmm, I'm guessing they would be a little soggy to use as an uncooked fresh herb in a salad or other dish. I'd love to hear back if anyone knows about that!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I just made a recipe that called for fresh basil and I didn't have any. I'm going to freze some so that I won't have that problem again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!